Okay, so obviously I’m doing it wrong … the whole resolutions thing. It’s nearly the end of January and I should’ve been out ages ago, waving a new, $200 gym membership card in everyone’s faces before ultimately abandoning it. But hey, I’m here now, and we’re going to talk about this new year thing.
First of all, I’m pretty sure this all started out on the right foot. While I (usually) loved my job with Cimbali, I made a decision at the end of last year to start looking for something that was all creative, all the time.
I figured it’d be summer before I even got any bites, but within four days of posting my resume up (on Thanksgiving weekend), I had three offers to interview for three very different creative roles. Hell, the effort was worth it just for the newfound knowledge that I am now a competitive candidate in my field of choice!
I ended up taking a job with Level 6 Marketing. My job description is officially ‘project manager’, but what I do is the creative marketing stuff for a few accounts that belong to me as well as some blue sky development on products and projects the company is vested in. It’s pretty bitchin’ so far. There’s a lot of travel involved (I was in Charlotte last week and will be up in Kansas City next week), which you all know I love, and along with a pay raise, I now have triple the holiday time in which to satisfy my wanderlust while I’m stuck in Florida.
So, let’s take a look back at what I managed to accomplish (without any clear goals) in 2011:
(note: this is either accountability or boasting. Probably boasting)
- I lost 22 lbs between June and August.
- I then stabbed myself in the leg leading into holiday season and subsequently lost motivation, gaining about 6 lbs back
- I left the country – went to Costa Rica
- I got my first local client – Yesterdaze Vintage
- I grew my social network by about double – this is HUGE for me
In a fit of wild optimism, in 2012 I would like to:
- Get to a weight between 140 and 145 lbs and MAINTAIN. I am hoping to get to the 145 mark (which is my general sweet spot) by April 1st. The smallest I’ve ever been was 135 after massive illness back in college. For those of you who think this still sounds quite large, consider on my build 140ish is about a size 6-8, and stop your damn judging.
- Get my freelance earnings up to at least $400/month on the side (currently at about $100 on average)
- Blog monthly through 2012 (already feeling like this isn’t going to happen, but I will TRY dammit)
- Get a new mattress that doesn’t suck
- Leave the country. Twice. (Germany is happening in April, I hope)
- Hire a French tutor. Refresh and achieve comfortable conversational skills
- Max out my IRA
- Stop being so damn affected by the opinions of others (I realize this is abstract, but it’s something I would very much like to accomplish)
Wish me luck 🙂